Sunday, February 19, 2012

Making gross things yummy

There are certain foods that were presented to all of us in childhood that struck terror in our hearts...lima beans, rabbit, cow tongue (ok, maybe that was just my ridiculous mom who would force that upon young children - I might add that she would slap that 2 foot sucker down in the middle of the table still in full, unsliced, tonguey glory, complete with tastebuds).  Maybe it was my guilt over eating something's tongue that led me to getting my little 2 year old arm stuck up a cow's nostril up to the elbow.  I digress...

This is what cows do with their tongue.  Then, my mom takes that tongue and makes me eat it under penalty of being grounded for life and cutting me off from my non-tongue-eating friends.

I will not be discussing how to cook cow tongue, because it is something so traumatic that I hope to never see it again.  So, I will go for something a little less scary and will address brussel sprouts.  The brussels are a tricky little beast - I have found that most people want to like those mini balls of leaves, but just can't find a way to get over the general bland sadness they tend to bring.

This particular blog entry was inspired by a girls' night out at the restaurant Arcadia.  Some of it may seem weird (mainly step 2), but just go with it.

Step one: Obtain brussels, and slice them in half, and throw them into a tall glass (yes, I am serious).

Brussels in a cup?!  Is this girl nuts?

Step two:  Pour milk into the glass until the brussels are covered (I am still serious).

Yes, it sounds crazy, BUT the milk removes the bitterness of the brussels.

Step three:  Let the milk and brussels sit for at least an hour - even better, refrigerate for a few hours.

Step four:  Melt some butter in a nonstick skillet.

Step five:  Drain the brussels and toss them into the skillet.  Sprinkle them with some crushed rosemary, and a little salt and pepper.  Cook until the brussels are soft and are browned.  Serve plain or with a side of spicy asian dipping sauce (see the previous blog entry)

No comments:

Post a Comment