Sunday, August 21, 2011

Light summer fare

Feeling both fancy and lazy?  How about some caprese salad to dazzle your taste buds, melt away the extra pounds, and impress your friends (or in my case, my dogs).

The key, of course, is fresh mozarella.  This is a MUST - sliced processed mozarella sucks for this, so get those big, round, gross looking moz balls and slice the heck out of them.  I also highly recommend locally grown tomatos.  I wish I could say "use the ones you grow in your deck garden," but I wouldn't know anything about that since stupid Kane has eaten every single tomato off my plants this year ugh.  Slice those suckers up too.

Season the sliced tomatos with salt and pepper, and then lay the mozarella slices on top.  If you want to add a twist, top each with a single basil leaf.  As other alternative versions, drizzle them with either balsalmic vinegar, pesto sauce, or spread a layer of red pepper hummus between the tomato slice and the mozarella.  Easy, delicious, and the only cleanup you have is to wash the cutting board.

No comments:

Post a Comment