Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane provisions

In addition to beer, wine, liquor, and unfortunately necessary drinking water, I have also prepared a massive quantity of food that will keep easily for a week in the event that I lose power.  The other side of the street has no power, so for now I am enjoying my a/c and my television now that my preparations for Irene are complete.  Soooo here we go: easy eats - island quinoa delight.

Cook 1 cup of quinoa (put the quinoa in a pan with 2c water, bring it to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook until the water is totally absorbed - about 20-25 mins).  Once the quinoa is done, put it in the fridge for at least 6 hours to chill.
After the quinoa is chilled, take about 3 cobs of sweet corn, and cut off the kernals.  Put the kernals in a large bowl.  Add a can of drained black beans.  Dice about half of a red onio and add that to the bowl as well.  Add chopped rotisserie chicken (a great way to use leftovers!).  This is what the mix will look like:
Next comes the fun part - the shazam factor.  Add your flava in the form of mango tequila jalepeno sauce (or some variation thereof)

This sauce is what I call "sweet with heat" and really adds some flavor to the salad.  Don't add too much though, or it will overpower the flavors of the veggies and chicken.

Next, stir in your quinoa and mix the whole salad together so the flavors really spread out over everything.

Keep it in tuperware in the fridge til you are read to serve!










All I need to do now is figure out how to calm the dogs down since they ae staying rater attached to my side.

Granted, we have had both an earthquake and a hurricane this week...poor things.

No comments:

Post a Comment